Re: Anti-aliased font support library ready

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 11:57:05AM +0100, Philip Armstrong wrote:
> I guess the 'right place' for this stuff is in the Xserver, with a new
> set of X extensions to go with it. Isn't someone in the Xfree86 crowd
> working on this?

Keith Packard may at least be looking at it; see

	http://www.xfree86.org/~keithp/talks/render.html

"A New Rendering Model for X", which, in its list of stuff to be done
about text, says

	Better rendering primitives are required as well, allowing for
	rotation of glyphs and baselines, sub-pixel positioning, and
	anti-aliasing.

as well as listing a pile of other improvements being considered, for
text and a number of other things in X.  (Presumably they also plan on
supporting kerning to some extent.)