Re: Inlining pixbufs

Tim Janik <timj@gtk.org> writes:
> glancing at your patch, you're saving the pixels as a const guchar
> array.
> i did quite some testing back then and can say, saving arrays
> has enourmous disadvantages, quoting the Gimp's ChangeLog
> (and thus me, but who cares ;):

You're still saving an array, right, just a compressed one?

What I mean is, does this change the public interface at all or does
gdk_pixbuf_new_from_inline() still work? If it doesn't change the
public interface it might be good to get things working like this,
since we are trying to nail down the API, and then we can tune
efficiency later.

I guess it clearly obsoletes the copy_data arg from
gdk_pixbuf_new_from_inline(). (which is possibly a problem, in some
situations leaving that data in read-only shared memory could be
good).

Alternatively we can allow the user to specify compressed or no when
they invoke the image-to-inline command, and new_from_inline() can
read either one.

Havoc