Re: GtkImage changes

> and then you can't access internals from derived widgets.

But at least you don't have to break binary compatibility every time you
try to change the implementation of a stupid widget/object/whatever.

And anyway, I have never seen a case in which not allowing access to the
private fields caused problems at all. Instead, there have been a ton of
cases where we needed to add fields to fix the implementation or to add
functionality and we simply couldn't because of this (broken) setup.

But in GTK+ land, breaking binary/API compatibility all the time seems
to be considered a healthy thing so whatever.

Plus, there should be no public fields at all. Programmers should use
accessors instead of poking at the fields directly.

> btw, if you really need to make fields opaque, what's wrong
> with:

This is indeed better and it's what I actually use for my stuff.

--
Ettore.