Re: default widgets misbehaviour

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Matt Goodall wrote:

> Tim Janik wrote:
>
> > so what i intend to change with gtk+ 1.3 is:
> > a) reset the focus widget when dialogs are shown, if the focus widget
> >    is can_default and focus_widget != default_widget.
> >    alternatively, we can also completely unset the focus widget when
> >    hiding dialogs, i don't have a strong opinion on this one, comments
> >    are apprechiated
>
> It sounds sensible to me but why not make it an option with the default
> as you describe above. I'm sure that someone, sometime will want to
> retain the focus.

completely unsetting the focus can already be achived by calling
gtk_window_set_focus (window, NULL), so you're probably right in
suggesting to just go with the first solution. completely unsetting
focus stays optional that way.

> > b) we'll keep the last activated default widget as default widget as long
> >    as the dialog is visible (this is the key to having more than one
> >    default widget making sense)
> >    [this is going to affect property-edit style dialogs only, that supply
> >    default widgets which do not also hide a dialog]
>
> Personally, I think that a default widget is a default widget :-).

right, if you have *one* default widget, it should have the default
activation bound to it. however, it doesn't make sense to have another
default widget that can never act as a true default widget, that's what
needs fixing here.

> Having two default widgets doesn't make sense to me.

Ok. (with the current behaviour that is)

> The current
> behaviour where the default focus is moved when a non-default button is
> focused and the default focus is restored when something other than a

are you confusing focus and default here? the default stays if a non-default
button is focussed and the default widget is the one originally having
the default when the dialog showed up. if another default widget is having
the default, upon focussing a non-default widget, the default "snaps back" to
the one originally having the default. (thus preventing other default widgets,
other than the one originally having the default, to ever act as default
widgets.)

> button gets the focus seems correct from a usability point of view.

wait a second, you outline the current behaviour to be correct for a setup
that above you claimed `didn't make sense to you'? ;)

---
ciaoTJ