Re: Multiple Inheritance?

I thought my trawl would turn up something :-)

Thanx - will take a look.

-tony

On 09-Mar-2000 Karl Nelson wrote:
>> > I know its written in C, but I believe it has a strong Object
>> > Type
>> > System. So why not multiple inheritance?
>> >

>> AFAIK, there is no usable/sensibile/reasonable/whatever way to do
>> multile inheritance in C.
>
> That is completely untrue. Well, not that as far as you know there
> isn't. ;-)
>
> In fact I proposed a system and demonstrated one which could
> do multiple inheritance quite simply.  See
>
>   http://www.ece.ucdavis.edu/~kenelson/private/gos.tar.gz
>
> Thus the "it can't be done" doesn't hold any water.  The
> more acurate statement is that gtk+ developers don't want
> to break the current system, nor do they see any value in providing
> the feature.  Those are of course just opinions which may be
> disagreed with.  (I agree with part and disagree with the rest.)
> However, saying there is no usable/sensibile/reasonable way to
> provide multiple inheritance is simply not true.
>
> If we don't wish to provide MI then we should just say we don't,
> rather than attempting to give technical reasons which can be shown
> not to be true.
>
> --Karl

---
E-Mail: Tony Gale <gale@syntax.dera.gov.uk>
Getting into trouble is easy.
		-- D. Winkel and F. Prosser

The views expressed above are entirely those of the writer
and do not represent the views, policy or understanding of
any other person or official body.