Re: Framebuffer port of GTK/GDK !!

On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 03:48:10PM -0800, Derek Simkowiak wrote:
> 3)  Should we even consider porting GDK to Microwindows if the MPL or GPL
> is the only license we can get it under?  My understanding is that we
> could use Microwindows' Nano-X API to implement a Microwindows version of
> GDK (and still keep GDK under the LGPL), but that Microwindows itself
> (being a separate program) would have its own, unrelated license.

If this is really to "compete" with Troll Tech's potentially non-free
product, then I'd say no.  If it's for the hell of it, just to do it,
then why not?

If applications must be GPL, then the platform is locking out a good
portion of not only proprietary licensed applications, but also free
software under a non-GPL license.  That just doesn't make sense.

-Shawn

--
Shawn T. Amundson                       amundson@eventloop.com
Research and Development                http://www.eventloop.com/

"The assumption that the universe looks the same in every
 direction is clearly not true in reality." - Stephen Hawking