Re: gdk-pixbuf to GTK

Havoc Pennington <hp@redhat.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> At GUADEC we talked about moving gdk-pixbuf to be a GTK dependency, or
> possibly included in the GTK+ package. This lets us use GdkPixbuf
> instead of GdkPixmap for various GTK APIs (such as CList), and also
> removes the need for GnomePixmap.
>
> Basically to do this we need to remove the libart
> dependency. gdk-pixbuf doesn't depend on libart in any real way (it
> uses an enumeration or two, and the ArtPixbuf struct).
>
> So, the questions are:
>
>  - any objections or comments on the general concept?

I'm in favor of doing this, though this would introduce (optional)
libtiff, libpng, and libjpeg dependencies for GTK+. XPM simply
is not a good format, and having that be the only native image
format for GTK+ is rather silly.

The question is whether the right thing to do is:

 a) Remove the libart dependency from gdk-pixbuf and put it
    gdk-pixbuf all into GTK+
 b) Bundle the non-GDK-specific parts of gdk-pixbuf together
    with libart in a separate package, make that a dependency
    of GTK+, and then put the GDK-specific parts of gdk-pixbuf
    into GDK.

>  - specifically how would we like to remove the libart dependency?
>
>    my suggestion is a struct just like ArtPixbuf but with a
>    different name that comes with gdk-pixbuf, thus we avoid breaking
>    current apps using gdk-pixbuf

I think we should go ahead, break the apps (trivially) and fix
the stupid GdkPixbuf structure to be sane:

struct _GdkPixbuf {
	/* Reference count */
	int ref_count;

	/* Libart pixbuf */