Re: 1.2 theme properties / 2.0 default theme

On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 03:09:58AM +0100, Tim Janik wrote:
> people with bad depth perception have trouble identifying the state
> of the radio button layout we used up to 1.2. considering that, it's probably
> a good idea to make them similar to text areas and indicate "checked" with
> an arrow like windows does it.
> making them round is a different issue though, historically, gtk proper never
> dealt with roundish UI elements, and that won't change for 2.0 either.
> diamond-shaped radios have always been one of the typical gtk+ marks,
> so i think we'll probably end up with diamond-shaped text-area alike
> radios that have a "checked" arrow.

	Wow.
	I don't think anyone thought of going for a diamond.  I don't
know of anyone (except Tim, maybe) that likes the diamond.  Of all the
Motif UI elements, I think it is the most disliked.
	I dislike the Win9x radio button, but not because it is round.
I dislike it's semi-flat text-white appearance.  I do like round radio
buttons.
	There are lots of UI elements that can be distinctive.  However,
distinctiveness is no better an ultimate goal than homogenity.  I'd
choose another place to be distinctive.  I would personally prefer solid
grey round 3d radio buttons with a check/black dot to help those with
visual depth issues.  It works on the Mac, and they seem to be the UI
authorities.

Joel

--

Life's Little Instruction Book #197

	"Don't forget, a person's greatest emotional need is to
	 feel appreciated."

			http://www.jlbec.org/
			jlbec evilplan org