Re: glib time functions

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Ali Abdin wrote:

> Also, some years, the muslim world is "divided" on the ramadan times. By
> definition, the Islamic calendar can never be 100% accurate, but it can be
> damn close (as proved by the lisp algorithm that was devised).

Are there a countable number of places that observations are done in? Are
the differences at all predictable?

What happens when it's wrong; presumably we want to correct this ASAP, so
it should be easily replacable.

/me imagines NTP servers with an extension... :)

> I have made one premise though (which I believe is safe to make) and that is
> we don't determine new days based on sunset/sunrise (too difficult, not
> essential, not used in the Islamic world anyway).

That'd be very interesting, but would require glib knowing your latitude,
longitude, altitude, whether there are mountains, and probably some other
things.

> If people want this for glib, I can try to work up a patch (if you tell me
> what kind of functions you want (i.e. do you want just the conversion
> functions? Should we add other things? etc.))

I'm going to do an initial patch for a few more simple calendars.
(Gregorian, Julian, Persian, and probably some interesting proposed reform
ones, and of course the Shire Reckoning (used by hobbits c.a. 3000 TA,
which is an interesting one due to it having days that aren't weekdays.))

--
Robert Brady
robert suse co uk