Re: glib time functions

Thus spake Ali Abdin:
> * Robert Brady (robert suse co uk) wrote at 18:23 on 30/11/00:
> > On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> >
> > > We should do the best we can to support Islamic calendars and any
> > > other types of calendars that are in widespread use.  This may be
> > > technically hard, just as supporting languages with complex ligatures
> > > is a hard thing to do (Thai et al).  But we cannot just say "screw
> > > them"; remember that the world is not constrained to your own
> > > particular culture.
> >
> > Not just hard; impossible.
> >
> > We shouldn't pretend we can solve this problem; we are no magicians.
>
> Umm - I said that we can not ever be 100% accurate. That doesn't mean we can't
> be damn close. At worst the glib functions will be off by one day for a period
> of 3 months (although I did propose a possible way to get around this which you
> haven't responded to yet).

agreed; we can algorithmically get very close, then (optionally)
provide some API for adjusting +/-1 day, as necessary.

> This beats "no implementation at all". Like I said, programmer and users in
> the Middle East will go somewhere where it IS supported (i.e. Windows).

Actually, how does Windows deal with this?
Does it use a formula so it's often off by a day?
Does it provide an interface for adjusting +/- 1 day?

Are any other (than emacs/windows) solutions widespread in the Middle East?

--
  -nils
Public key: http://www.nbarth.net/~nbarth/pub-key.txt