Re: Patch for Automated RTL widgets

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 12:13:25AM +0500, Vlad Harchev wrote:
>  I've played with g_i18n_* and I liked it much better than setlocale. As for
>  'setlocale' - it doesn't expand aliases properly (at least on RH6.0). With
>  LANG=en g_i18n_* (correctly, according to various locale.alias files) returns
>  en_US.ISO8859-1 as most preferable, while setlocale just returns "en" again.
>  (though for LANG="ru" and for LANG="russian" it correctly returns
>  "ru_RU.KOI8-R").
>
>  Also, even if glibc can be fixed - there is no chance to fix libc on other
>  unices, so IMO the only working solution is g_i18n_*. We live in imperfect
>  world and using the wrapper is a right solution for almost everything.

There is one more advantage to g_i18n_*, in that it supports multiple
fallback languages (I think this is a gnu extention, and gettext should
support it).  This is very useful for people who don't know english (since
they can set a closer language as fallback).  With unicode, the encoding
issue on that is no longer a problem either.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   What luck for the rulers that men do not think.