Re: Window naming convention

>From: Chema Celorio <chema celorio com>
>To: Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com>
>Cc: gnome-hackers gnome org, gtk-devel-list gnome org
>Subject: Re: Window naming convention
>
>I'd love to add more stuff to gtk as it is needed.
>I just feel that coding in gtk and getting patches across
>the maintainers is a lot harder, and we need to solve this
>problem now. It would not hurt if all the mayor apps
>start using a common way to name their toplevels imediatelly.
>It's a no brainer, we just need to do it.
>
>We can call it gtk_window_something and ship it with g-libs
>till it makes it into gtk.

I like this API, it will allow applications to have
more consistency of UI, always a good thing.

On the matter of naming it, each library needs to own it's
namespace, otherwise the end result is confusion.  I suggest
that you go with your original name for the API
(gnome_window_toplevel_set_title) but add a comment with
the function that the intention is that it should migrate
into Gtk 2.0.

In terms of where to add new APIs, Gtk is a widely used API so
it needs to be modified in a thoughtful way, but innovation
needs a place to happen and gnome-libs:libgnomeui seems like a
good place for utility functions that make Gtk applications
work well in the Gnome environment.

Colm.