Re: Gnome/Gtk and thread safety

FYI, on the async IO thread, GNet [1] supports async connection and DNS
lookups.  The next version will have GIOChannel readline_async,
read_async, write_async (with timeouts, buffer allocation/management).
These functions have simplified my async IO code tremendously.

Providing async interfaces is good.  But, using threads internally to
implement them is often the easiest way.  Mostly it allows the synchronous
code to be reused in the implementation.

We are currently porting GNet to Win32.  Getting async network IO in Win32
working with GLib has been rather difficult.

[1] http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~dhelder/misc/gnet/

--
      __          _    __  David Helder - University of Michigan
  ___/ /__ __  __(_)__/ /  dhelder umich edu