Re: per thread x connection

Ulrich Czekalla <ulrich czekalla utoronto ca> writes:

> I'm currently looking into the creation of a gtk based user dll for
> the Wine project. One of the requirements will be to have a per thread
> X connection.
>
> I have been looking at the source and noticed that the X connection
> is created during gdk initialization and is put into a global variable.
>
> How difficult would it be to modify the code to allow for a per thread
> X connection? Are there any fundamental assumptions for one global
> X connection?

Yes. Basically every global variable in GTK assumes this. Or nearly
every one.

Erwann is working on multiple display support, which will allow
connections to more than one X display. But you're still looking at
the fairly limited thread-safety model of GTK itself.

Without knowing more details on why you have this per-thread X
connection requirement, it's hard to tell you what would be required
to meet it. What are you trying to achieve? Multiple display support?

Havoc