Timer/delay

Newbie question here, so please forgive me if I err in my question.

I am trying to create a delay that will bring up a window, once an
application is launched, for about 3 seconds.  Then close that window
and bring up another window.  I have looked through GTK.ORG, performed
searches on Yahoo, etc... with no luck in finding an example.

Can anyone point me to some good newbie-example code for creating delays
of this type?

Thanks,

Mike Dailey
mdailey istechpro com