Re: anti-aliasing on gtk 1.2.10 using an ipaq or yopy screen

On 7 Aug 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> There have been 3 or 4 people who've written such patches. They are
> all broken in various ways though (break bin compat, or don't work
> with i18n, or whatever), so haven't gone into the main sources.

Internationalization isn't that important at the moment, but it may become
so for my programs.  I also don't care about binary compatibility either.
But I do need consistant rendering and having selections work alright.
And I would like behaviour like qt has where if a font isn't found in
xrender, it uses the old, non aa method of rendering.  Combines the best
of both worlds I believe.

> Yes, the devel version has had Xft support for a while. You have to
> set the GDK_USE_XFT environment variable to turn it on.

I may go ahea and start using the new stuff, even though it's still under
development.  The core APIs seem pretty stable.