Re: CENTER_ALWAYS behaviour

On 17 Aug 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Tim Janik <timj gtk org> writes:
> > you're right in the above comment in that we couldn't recenter upon
> > every size change, e.g. if the window manager gave us a new size (i.e.
> > size changes from configure events), but size changes due to widget
> > tree layout changes need to still trigger the recentering code.
> >

> Investigating a bit, the current code is intended to do as you
> describe. It does constrain position if our configure request changes:

hm, ok, trying the GLE selector case again, most times the window is
shrunk/grown the window does in fact resize accordingly.
however, there's an odd, hard-to-trigger bug hiding somewhere in
our resizing logic that i based my original mail upon (not noticing
this is a rare-case bug).
you might be lucky in triggering it by placing the main GLE window so
that it's "Selector" button vertically aligns with the selector window's
"Abort", and then positioning the mouse pointer onto the Selector window's
border, i.e. (yes i suck at ASCII art):

     |   Main GLE Window                                         |
     |                  +----Selector-Window------+              |
     |                  |                         |              |
     |                  | <current-window-string> |              |
     |                  |                         |              |
     | +----------------| +---------------------+ |------------+ |
     | |     Selector   | |       Abort         | X            | |
     | +----------------| +---------------------+ |------------+ |
     |                  +-------------------------+              |

move mouse pointer to X.

this should result in the Selector-Window constantly flipping sizes
(which is ok given the intended logic of CENTER_ALWAYS, and given that
the string displayed for the Selector-Window is shorter than the
string displayed for GLE's main window).
at some point though (and not always) the resizing/recentering might
get stuck, from then on, the label alignment is screwed and further
resizes only occour only to the right.

> Havoc

---
ciaoTJ