Re: [patch] fix g_shell_quote

Darin Adler <darin bentspoon com> writes:
> I guess I just wasn't familiar with the bizarre rules for escape
> characters inside quotes in sh. To quote the "sh" man page on one of
> my systems, "The backslash inside double quotes is historically
> weird, and serves to quote only the following characters: $ ` " \
> <newline>. Otherwise it remains literal."

Heh, this is by no means the weirdest thing about /bin/sh ;-)
Check out the UNIX98 spec sometime, well you probably saw
g_shell_parse_argv() - /bin/sh can basically only be specified by
explaining what algorithm you have to use in order to do everything,
there's no way to give a grammar or anything sane like that.

> I'd personally like to see the list of characters in the
> g_shell_unquote or the g_shell_parse_argv gtk-doc comment, not just
> in the unquote_string_inplace comment. And I'd like to see a comment
> mention that the particular list of characters comes from the
> historically weird behavior of double quotes in sh.

Sure, I'll do some doc fixups right now.

Havoc