GLib and translations

Currently, in GLib, translated error messages are not in UTF-8. In GTK+,
all .po files are in UTF-8, and we call bind_textdomain_codeset() to
make sure that they don't get translated back for non-UTF locales. We
don't do this in GLib.

I think this is pretty clearly wrong ... if you try to display a translated
error message in a dialog, it will be in the wrong encoding. However,
we do need to deal with the common:

 g_message (_("Error reading file %s"), error->message);

Thinking about this, I think we should make g_logv(), and probably also
g_print() translate from UTF-8 to the encoding of the locale.

Things are going to be perfect until everybody uses UTF locales, but
this should make things better.

Thoughts?