Re: #54720 -button children should optionally move

Tim Janik <timj gtk org> writes:

> >  * Should _gtk_button_set_depressed() be exported? If someone wanted
> >    to write a like-toggle-button widget right now, they wouldn't
> >    be able to. On the other hand, making it public is inviting
> >    confusion and abuse.
>
> definitely not, i already came across apps that hacked this into
> their widgets, so i'm pretty sure people will abuse this in
> their programs instead of going through rc files.

I don't understand. How would you do the equivalent in an RC file?

My default would be to keep it private though, since it can always
be made public, and not the reverse. The main reason for keeping
it private is to reduce confusion, and keep people from trying
to use it instead of gtk_toggle_button_set_active().

But if people actually wanted this functionality, and were going
to try and hack it other ways, well, that would be a reason to
make it public.

What were you thinking of people trying to do?