Re: GtkModule fixes

On 25 Aug 2001, Owen Taylor wrote:

> > > 56916 GtkModule fixes
> > >   Notes:    Tim should look at what I put in the bug description.
> > >             Seems to barely count as API issues.
> > >   Puntable:
> > >   Breakage: Some
> > >   Time:     1 hour
> >
> > this is really a small issue. all that's involved is someone implementing
> > code and Makefile.am stubs to:
> > - let gtk figure a gtk-specific directory in configure.in into which
> >   custom modules can install themselves
>
> The directory should probably be:
>
>  $libdir/gtk-2.0/GTK_MAJOR.GTK_MINOR.(GTK_MICRO - GTK_BINARY_AGE)/modules
>
> Currently, we are installing input-method modules (which are third-party
> addable) and pixbuf loaders (which aren't) in
>
>  $libdir/gtk-2.0/GTK_MAJOR.GTK_MINOR.GTK_MICRO/{immodules,loaders}
>
> But those could be changed to be in (GTK_MICRO - GTK_BINARY_AGE) as well.
>
> > - search that gtk-specific module directory for modules passed in through
> >   GTK_MODULES= in gtk_main()
> > - put GtkModuleDir=... into gtk-2.0.pc
> > - implement means in pkg-config so custom module installers can do
> >   pkg-config --get-variable=GtkModuleDir gtk-2.0
> >   (or maybe pkg-config has such a thing already, dunno)
>
> Yes, it already has such a thing:
>
> $ pkg-config --help
> [...]
>   --variable=VARIABLENAME                        get the value of a variable

good. havoc, are variables case sensitive btw? (thinking of "Cflags" vs. "CFlags",
that'd probably not be too good of an idea).

> The one issue here is the one of "packages should not install outside there
> own prefix". How does a user install GLE in /opt if GTK+ is installed
> in /usr, and /usr mounted read-only?

well, basically there's not much to install for GLE besides the actual .so
anyways, so what's the users point in wanting to install it into /opt
when gtk lives in /usr in the first place?
if we'd want to, in this case, have GLE install itself into
/opt/lib/gtk-2.0/GTK_MAJOR.GTK_MINOR.(GTK_MICRO - GTK_BINARY_AGE)/modules
it probably needs a way to tell the instaleld gtk to look into that
directory for modules as well.
i don't think we invented a new problem here however, how are such things
handled with compliance to fsstnd for other packages? say xmms with
all the add-on modules that can be installed?

> Regards,
>                                         Owen

---
ciaoTJ