Re: GtkModule fixes

On 28 Aug 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> > > Yes, it already has such a thing:
> > >
> > > $ pkg-config --help
> > > [...]
> > >   --variable=VARIABLENAME                        get the value of a variable
> >
> > good. havoc, are variables case sensitive btw? (thinking of "Cflags" vs. "CFlags",
> > that'd probably not be too good of an idea).
>
> They are case sensitive.
>

> I don't think defining a "gtkmoduledir" variable is a good idea though
> - packages should never install outside their prefix.

well, the points are:
- gtk modules shouldn't go into public /lib directories, because:
  a) they can clash with existing library names
  b) they aren't usable to link against on some platforms anyways
- gtk needs to know where to look for modules since they aren't in public
  /lib dirs

if you have any better ideas to let gtk find modules just by their name
without dictating a directory to install modules into, post it.

> Havoc

---
ciaoTJ