deriving from PangoLayout

Hi,

I'd like to change the behaviour of PangoLayout in an application,
but the current design of PangoLayout makes this impossible. I don't
know exactly how this could be solved, but I'll explain what I'm
trying to achieve...

I want to draw text to a fixed-size area of the screen and I want
to indicate the fact that text has been cut off by showing ellipses
after the last word that fits on the screen.

Normally I'd try to achieve this by deriving from PangoLayout, adding
a height argument and overriding some class functions, but the
current design gives me no chance at all to implement this without
copying the whole PangoLayout code which is something I want to
avoid. Owen, do you see any chance to make the PangoLayout struct
public and to add virtual functions that can be overriden from
derived classes?

Salut, Sven