Re: revised patch for glib compilation on cygwin with POSIX runtime

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:

Hello,

[...]
> >  > > I believe that CVS versions of libtool provide support for Win32 DLLs.
> >
> >  > I have checked out libtool from CVS about four months ago and was not
> >  > able to get compilation of DDLs working. Maybe there has something changed
> >  > during the time.
> >
> > The bleeding edge is better, I think. Although I don't remember
> > exactly how far I got when I hacked on it.
>
> About four months ago is when it *was* working!  Unfortunately it has
> bitrotted a little since then.  I will work on fixing win32 DLL
> building in libtool as soon as I have my glib patch for wrapping
> libltdl ready.

You are probably right. I was quire confused with the fact that the m4
macros for libtool were included in acinclude.m4 inside glib sources from
CVS, so when I appended the new macros to aclocal.m4 my macros were always
replaced with that from acinclude.m4. It took me quite long time to
realize it yesterday, and I find that out just after I adjusted the old
libtool ltconfig script to build properly DLLs :-( No matter ... it is now
working properly and builds the dlls for cygwin after small changes to
configure script and Makefile templates.

> The goat book (http://sources.redhat.com/autobook) contains a detailed
> example of how portable DLL building is supposed to work with libtool
> on cygwin.

Good to know. I will try to download it. Thanks for info!

> >  > Ok. I will be glad when this new libtool will work. Only one thing is,
> >  > that I would like to keep differently named .dll libraries for cygwin
> >  > (prefixed with cyg) to avoid collision with .dll libraries compiled for
> >  > native Win32.
> >
> > Yes, that is very important.
>
> I have a nice requirements document from Chuck Wilson which includes
> details of cyg prefixes for win32 dlls built by cygwin.  It will be in
> before I release libtool-1.4.

Great!

> >  > I am not sure wheter this is posible to achive with libtool
> >  > (I am not expert on libtool, so maybe I am wrong).
> >
> > If not currently, it should be made possible... I would think that it
> > is possible, as the cyg* prefix is standard in cygwin now.
>
> More or less.  Most of the contributers to cygwin have started
> building their dlls like this.  Libtool will support it as soon as I
> get time to implement it (patches are always gratefully received).

Ok. I now understand a bit how it all works inside libtool, I can send you
tomorow patch to include the cyg prefix to DLL name.

Best regards,
Stevo.

--
Stefan Ondrejicka <ondrej idata sk>
Beethovenova 11, 917 08 Trnava, Slovakia