Re: GTK_WINDOW_DIALOG

Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:

> Current thinking is that GTK_WINDOW_DIALOG is useless; its only
> effect, setting the window transient for the root window, is Broken.
>
> We could keep it around in case we want to make it do something later,
> or we could say that a dialog is any window with the transient for
> hint set.
>
> The latter is my current inclination, so I'm going to
> #define GTK_WINDOW_DIALOG GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL in the near future
> absent comments on this.

One issue is how this interacts with _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE (see
http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/wm-spec/x183.html), though I
don't think it makes any difference - we can set
_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DIALOG anytime the transient_for hint is set.

I guess it's possible to have a dialog without a parent onscreen
though, so this whole transient_for = dialog deal may be broken in
that respect.

Havoc