Use of GObject properties in GTK+ 2.0

A quick perusal of the GTK+ 2.0 code suggests that GtkObject arguments are
implemented as GObject properties.

In the GObject source code I came across the signals "properties_changed" and
"notify".

I did not find any code in gobject.c which connected what looks like the
signal handlers, i.e. g_object_notify_property_changed()  and
g_object_property_changed(), to the "properties_changed" and "notify" signal.
Did I miss something?

Is the "properties_changed" signal in GObject a public interface which we
can use to connect a signal handler to be invoked when the property changes?

My interest in this is that the Accessibility API which we are trying to define
needs to be able to add and remove what is Java termininology are property
change listeners.

Padraig