Re: [Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>] Re: copied item going away when you close the window you copied from

My humble opinion on this is that we should create a clipboard manager
specific to GNOME (or maybe to KDE too). The program would handle all
kind of selections, not just text or raw data (which I think X is only
capable of). For example, a mime-type could be associated with it so
that applications which are able to handle this and this mime-type
could be registered as a "receiver" while others would be forbidden
access to the resource being transfered.

That way it would not be possible for gnotepad to paste an image from
the gimp (unless gnotepad accepts type X images). While gpaint could,
even if the format of the data gimp has saved in the clipboard would
have to be somewhat converted.

This kind of conversion would require simple translators to do
operations such as flattening images. Actually they could even be
CORBA-exported routines from the native application programs.

Same thing would occur with AbiWord to gnotepad (formatted text to raw
text conversion).

My 3 canadian cents.

W.