Re: transforms in gdk?

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Mark <jamess1 wwnet com> writes:
> > > At some point in the future, we'll move to a new drawing model for
> > > GDK with anti-aliasing, transforms, alpha-compositing, and so forth.
> > > That's quite a ways off.
> >
> > Who says we have to implement it all at once? At least if the API is
> > there we don't wait for major revisions to actually use some it.
> >

> The new API wouldn't be a drop-in replacement for the current one; the
> current one would continue to exist, and we'd create a separate set of
> gdk_render_* functions that correspond to libart/XRender/gnome-print
> type of stuff. gdk_draw_* make pretty strong guarantees about the
> exact pixels they draw, so that can't be changed.

Right. That seems pretty reasonable.

> gdk_gc_transform() would be extremely nontrivial to implement, in any
> case, so won't happen for 2.0.

I guess I was hoping libart could be used for most of this, at least
until code to use XRender is written (I'm pretty sure XRender supports
transforms).

I might write some code in this direction, at the very least it might be
usefull for when this actually goes into gdk.

Mark