Re: TODO List Item -- Gtk+ Modules installation directory

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 09:07:17AM +0100, Tim Janik wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
>
> > Please Cc: me on replies; I am not on the list.

I am on the list now =)O|

> > If you guys would accept (something close to) my patch into the core,
> > I would quite like to base the next release of GNU M4 on GLib, since I
> > have found myself implementing a lot of container classes and type
> > portability code as part of the enhancements I am doing.
> >
> > Anyway, let me know what you think, and I'll clean up what I have and
> > submit whatever you are interested in.
>
> please send in your patch, review couldn't hurt ;)

libltdl is undergoing a last minute API enhancement to support thread
locking more properly, so that the caller can register lock and unlock
callbacks during initialisation, and have libltdl DTRT.  This makes my
current glib patch obsolete.  I'll sit on it for a little longer while
libltdl settles down, and then rework my glb patch against the current
CVS HEAD and resubmit.

> on backing out 1.3 things, we'll have to adress those in detail,
> they were usually made for pretty good reasons.

Understood.  I only did this because libltdl offers parallel
functionality that is difficult to wrap.  If we reach o apoint where
you agree to accept my patch in principle, I'll address these points
if they are show stoppers.

> as for the initial todo item, gtk+ should actually load modules
> only from a defined set of directories, and that set should be
> queriable through gtk-config so add-on modules actually know where
> to install to. but that requires GModule to operate on specific
> search paths, and on those only, and that's a non-trivial issue
> to get properly going in a platform independant way. (e.g. dlopen()
> searches normal library paths, but not on all platforms are add-on
> application specific modules also suitable .so libraries).

Indeed.  libtool has solved some of this already, so you would get
that for free by wrapping libltdl.  The rest, I'd be happy to work on
(assuming that it is possible at all).

Cheers,
	Gary.
--
  ___              _   ___   __              _         mailto: gvv techie com
home page:  /___/                      /___/                  gpg public key:
http://www.oranda.demon.co.uk           http://www.oranda.demon.co.uk/key.asc