Gtk 1.2.10 & Xft

Hello,

Some days ago I tried to patch 1.2.10 with the Xft-patches for gtk
(http://216.254.0.2/~bos/gtk-20010311.patch). It failed (suprise :-).
Anyway, I backtracked few gtk versions and the last version to which this
patch works is 1.2.9. Then I did some manual comparison and it seems that
major failures were due to change of handling multibyte-strings within gtk.
The files that got affected are gtk/gdk/gdkdraw.c & gdkfont.c. It seems that
the patches are doing the counting of strlen using an internal static
function (since 1.2.9 doesn't do that much of counting in those parts of
code) so I see the rationale.

My question basically is:

a) how heavy modifications do I need to do into 1.2.10 to get the patch
working (I know C, I do not know neither do the time at the moment to learn
the innards of GDK).

b) given that a is not feasible for some reasons (which?), would using
version 1.2.9 be a serious crime? This is the last version against which the
patch goes smoothly against.

I'm sure there are hundreds of people trying to do the same thing as I am,
which is getting Mozilla to use TrueType fonts with antialiasing (and with
truetype-hinting instructions as well preferrably). If there are any better
(working) solutions to this problem, I'd appreciate any hints/pointers.

I get the impression that 1.3 with pango should be the right way to go, but
then again I do not have the required time at the moment to modify innards
of Mozilla to use different Gtk-version. This is why this minimal approach
was selected.

Thank you and BTW thanks for GTK :-).

Aleksandr Koltsoff
Design Manager
Engineering Office Bertel Ekegren Ltd
+358 9 613 03228 (tel), +358 9 613 03200 (fax)