Dual Head - 2 monitors/screens....

Hi,
I've configured to use 2 monitors (with Matrox Dual Head card),
and if I'm positioning my window to be centered on the screen, it
actuall finds the middle point between 2 displays. Then I've figured
that if I'd get width or height of the window (just window), it'll
return combined number from 2 displays (2624pixels wide in my
case).
I have my displays something like this:

1600x1200x32b    1024x786x32b
+----------+ 	 +------+
|          | 	 |  15" |
|    19"   | 	 |      |
|          | 	 +------+
+----------+

but as you may know, user can have top->bottom position (one above
another). Also it's ok to have one with 8bit colour, and another 32 bit,
different refresh rates, and so on. So, what I'm trying to get to, is that
is there any functions/trick that let me figure out what kind of setup
user may have? Seems that if I'll be using default positioning, centered
windows, 1/4 of screen width, things like that, it wouldn't make sense,
because it wouldn't work the way it's designed. There is maybe another
things that wouldn't work, I don't know.
Thanks a lot to everyone,
- John.

NOTICE:  This communication may contain confidential or other privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that you have received this communication in error, please do not print, copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the information.  Also, please indicate to the sender that you have received this email in error, and delete the copy you received.  Any communication that does not relate to official Columbia business is that of the sender and is neither given nor endorsed by Columbia.  Thank you.