POSIX rwlocks vs. glib2 rwlocks

While investigating the g_type_instance_is_a() performance problem, I
looked into how rwlocks are done in glib2.  I was surprised to learn that
there is no implementation of rwlocks that uses the pthread functions
that implement this primitive.  glibc-2.2 has rwlocks fully implemented
from what I can see in the library and headers (though I haven't confirmed
that they are fully functional, I would assume so), and I have little
doubt that they're faster than the routines currently in glib.

If I have time, I'll make an attempt at rewriting the rwlocks to use
pthreads on architectures where they work.  Problem is going to be those
static rwlocks... ;-(

      Erik Walthinsen <omega temple-baptist com> - System Administrator
        __
      _\  /_