Re: GObject porting & gtk+-1.2 shim

Erik Walthinsen <omega temple-baptist com> writes:
> I've been porting GStreamer (gstreamer.net) to GObject over the last week
> and a half, and have come up with some pretty interesting stuff I think:
>
> 1) A script that does the bulk of the conversion from GtkObject to
> GObject, at least for the way GStreamer is coded (very similarly to Gtk+).
>
> 2) gobject2gtk.[ch], capable of shimming the GObject-based GStreamer back
> to compile on top of glib-1.2 and gtk+-1.2.  Everything is done via the
> preprocessor and some helper functions.  It probably can't do everything
> gtkobject can do, and certainly doesn't try to shim newer GObject features
> back, but it's sufficient for GStreamer at the moment.

My general view would be:

 - converting GtkObject to GObject will normally break memory
   management, unless you were using GtkObject incorrectly
   to begin with (or planned ahead by ref/sinking all
   GtkObject on creation)
 - allowing compilation with both 1.2 and 2.0 is insanity -
   use a CVS branch

MHO only. ;-)

Havoc