Re: file selector re-visited

Michael L Torrie <torriem cs byu edu> writes:
> I know this is a little late to say this, but this file selector thing
> doesn't point to very good design back in the beginning.

Well, that's true.

> I'm not sure for the reasoning behind waiting to change the file selector
> API.  I realize it takes extensive resources and time to create a
> new one,

That's the whole reasoning. ;-)

> but I don't think that breaking older programs need be that much of a
> worry.  The whole gtk api has evolved in the pre 2.0 tree, and will break
> applications anyway.  At the very least, perhaps a new dialog box could be
> developed and merged in eventually that would eventually replace the file
> selector, but still leave the original one for programs that need it.
> Call it gtkfilesel2 or something.

That's the plan. But no time to do it for 2.0. There are other
important issues.

> Finally, is it appropriate to integrate with gnome-vfs?

The idea is to consider some sort of abstraction that would allow apps
using gnome-vfs to use the standard filesel widget with gnome-vfs as
backend. It may not be possible. But we do need to abstract
UNIX/Windows anyway so may not be that hard to do.

Havoc