Re: Support for WM spec

> Alexander Larsson <alla lysator liu se> writes:

FALSE)))

> > > Thinking about it more, we can probably fall back to setting the icon
> > > to a GdkWindow that renders the pixbuf, the way you did it
> > > pre-WM-spec.
> >
> > Yes, having both _NET_WM_ICONs and GdkWindow icon may be confusing for
the
> > WM.
>
> The WM spec needs to be clear about what setting both _NET_WM_ICONS
> and an Icon pixmap or window means.
>
> If _NET_WM_ICONS and a pixmap are set, it's pretty clear that
> _NET_WM_ICONS is the preferred information.
>
> But it's conceivable that if _NET_WM_ICONS and a icon window are
> set, then the icon is an active icon, and should be preferred
> over _NET_WM_ICONS, and the app is just setting _NET_WM_ICONS
> for the information of tasklists and suchlike.
>
> Does there need to be some disambiguation between these, or
> can we just pick one interpretation and ignore the other?
>
> What do window managers do currently?

As per ICCCM :
(4.1.9)
In the Iconic state, the window manager usually will ensure that:
If the window's WM_HINTS.icon_window is set, the window it names is visible.
If the window's WM_HINTS.icon_window is not set but the window's WM_HINTS.icon_pixmap is set, the pixmap it names is visible.
Otherwise, the window's WM_ICON_NAME string is visible.

Thusly, if window is specifyed - it will always be used in preference of
pixmap.

If only pixmap is available and set in both WM_HINTS and _NET_WM_ICONS -
behaviour is undefined. Presently I take _NET hints in preference of ICCCM
hints in AfterStep,
but that behaviour is user selectable.

> Regards,
>                                         Owen