Re: GtkPlug/socket broken in GTK+ 2.0

Martin Baulig <martin home-of-linux org> writes:

> Hi guys,
>
> for some strange reason, GtkPlug/socket doesn't work in GTK+ 2.0.
> I have no idea what it is yet, I don't get any runtime warnings or
> error or anything, but the contents of the plug window just doesn't
> show up in the socket window.

> First of all, there's a little patch which needs to be applied to
> GtkPlug.c to avoid a SIGSEGV:
>

> To make it easier for you to reproduce this bug and find out what's
> wrong, I attached a little test program here which work fine with
> GTK+ 1.2.x, but not with GTK+ 2.0.

Well, you can see problems with

 gtk/testsocket

as well. (Added recently, in expectation of commiting a working
plug/socket sometime in the not too distant future.)

> Anyone an idea what the problem is ?

I figured it out in some detail, but then went on to rewrite
most of plug/socket using a new protocol (the plug/socket
protocol is fundementally broken in a number of ways).
I can't really remember what was needed to get the old plug/socket
working at this point.

I expect to be committing the new plug/socket over the next week
or so.