Re: Compatibility stuff

Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:

> Martin Baulig <martin home-of-linux org> writes:
> > * there's a hell lot of code out there which is using things like
> >   object->klass, klass->type etc. which is now using GTK_OBJECT_GET_CLASS
> >   and GTK_CLASS_TYPE.
> >
> >   To ease migration to GTK+ 2.0, I'd like to suggest that we add these
> >   macros to GTK+ 1.2.x. When we do this, people can start to port their
> >   existing code to use these new macros when they feel like it without
> >   breaking it on the GNOME 1.x platform.
>
> We don't really want to create apps that depend on a specific .x from
> 1.2.x, normally interfaces are not added in the stable branch.  (We
> added those theme-engine-only interfaces in 1.2.9, but those shouldn't
> create apps that depend on 1.2.9, so it seemed relatively safe.)

The problem is that this'll make it very hard to port existing GNOME 1.x
applications and libraries to GTK+ 2.0 if you still want to have them working
with GNOME 1.x. You will need to provide a lot of conditionals in your code
which could be avoided by adding at least these type macros to stable.

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)