Re: New GTK+ anti-aliasing patch posted

What I meant about turning it off and on from an API is that KDE 2.1 has a
global option to turn on anti-aliasing or not.  I would like to use the
anti-alias patches, but since I support workstations with many users, I
don't want to force all of them to have to use it.  I know that some
people dislike anti-aliasing.  This could be written into the toolkit API
somewhere.

Sharp and Crisp is not words I normally use to describe anti-aliasing
(blurry is more like it).  Just personal preference, though.  I prefer to
use AA only at large point sizes and at extremely small sizes.  This
should be something controlled by GTK, since GTK can decide which
rendering method to use.

At the smaller sizes, whatever algorithm MS Windows uses, it seems to
display better than the Xft method.  Xft seems to just render at a higher
resolution (size) and then use pixel averaging to reduce it to screen
size.  (This is what is looks like, even if that's not what's happening.)
If this is the case, then the effects of low-resolution hinting will be
lost.

Michael