Re: stock icons to add

gtk-devel-list-request gnome org wrote:

These are too application-specific, and are mostly in libgnomeui since
gnome-stock was not extensible, or are gnome-specific. With GTK 2 you
can easily add custom stock items in your app and have them be
themeable. So the following should probably stay in libgnomeui and/or
be moved to application-specific libs:

I don't see the problem with adding the remainder.  They're not that
specific.  For example, what makes colorselector icon more acceptable
than the multimedia icons?  I have as many programs that play sound as
let me change colours.

Generally, the more we add, the more standardised different apps become
-- good UI.

The other possibility would be to put together a couple of GTK icon
libraries, so that people can quickly link to the library to get a new
family of icons.  (e.g. the multimedia icon library or the text icon
library).  This would help share icons between address spaces, but also
enable them to be loaded-on-demand.  A simple
``gtk_multimedia_icons_init'' call would then add the icons to the
stock.

stock_attach.png

Useful for any program that wants to deal with e-mail, even if just by
starting an external mail program.  I think that is a fair number, even
if the e-mail is just used to contact the author.

stock_book_blue.png
stock_book_green.png
stock_book_open.png
stock_book_red.png
stock_book_yellow.png

These are good generic icons.

stock_cdrom.png

This could be used in the file selector to indicate if a drive (Windows)
or subdirectory (Unix) actually represents a CD.

stock_exec.png

Another nice generic icon, representing ``do stuff''.

stock_line_in.png

I have to admit I'd probably never use this icon or the other sound
ones, but any game or audio mixing program would, so again, I think
including it helps make all sound icons standard.

stock_mail.png
stock_mail_compose.png
stock_mail_forward.png
stock_mail_receive.png
stock_mail_reply.png
stock_mail_send.png

As above, mail is good.

stock_menu_about.png

I think this should be in there, too.  Help|About is a fairly standard
place (or should be) to get information about contacting the author.

stock_menu_blank.png (wtf is up with this)

Maybe to prevent having to handle a NULL pointer?!??!?

stock_menu_scores.png

Obviously a game-only thing.  And a large game (i.e. Loki-style game)
would probably never use it, because they do custom UI.  But, all of the
solitaire-style games would use it.

stock_mic.png
stock_midi.png

As stock_line_in, above.

stock_not.png

I'd keep this one.  Useful in trees to indicate something is disabled or
not selected.

stock_scores.png

This looks the same as stock_menu_scores to me.  Is there any
difference?

stock_spellcheck.png

As someone else pointed out, this goes with the other text-handling.
Its also a nice feature that most programs *should* have.

stock_table_borders.png
stock_table_fill.png

This would be useful to any word processor or object-based drawing
program or maybe a reporting program.

stock_timer.png
stock_timer_stopped.png

Useful for anything dealing with time.

stock_volume.png

Goes with the other sound programs.  Generally, if a program plays
sound, its nice if it has a mini-mixer that I can quickly get at, or
at least a button that launches the real mixer.

Steven