Re: GObject thread safety

On Sat, 3 Nov 2001, Tim Janik wrote:

> i'd really say then they make the wrong assumptions and didn't get how
> to do threaded programming in glib. what point is there in just reffing
> objects in threads? at some point they're going to use it and then they
> need some global object-entity lock anyways.

I agree with the rest of your mail, but I'm not sure about this.

If I implement a class (even a class hierarchy), deriving from GObject,
and I've taken my time to make the classes internally thread safe (say
it's a process wide data object). I'm not using signals or object data,
and all the class methods are thread safe. Now I can use this object in
several threads. Except I can't memory manage it threadsafely, without
having my own ref/unref wrappers.

Anyway. Too late.

/ Alex