Re: gtkmarshal.h?

on 11/4/01 9:14 PM, Owen Taylor at otaylor redhat com wrote:

> Thoughts? It isn't awful if we don't do anything here, but I'd
> like to at least deprecate use of the builtin GTK+ marshallers.

My two cents:

I think that deprecating them is a good idea. And I agree it's too late to
remove them for 2.0 itself. I also don't think you should waste time trying
to distinguish the new from old for 2.0 -- there's enough work to do in
other areas.

But my guess is that Havoc would say that we need to make new marshalers
private starting with the first post-2.0 release, so we don't have
compatibility problems with programs accidentally requiring 2.0.1 because
they use a new marshaler.

Until you remove the deprecated public marshalers (gtk+ 3.0?), at the very
least should keep accumulating any public marshalers for maximum
compatibility, even if they are unused. At any point you can do the extra
work and start making any new marshalers private, but no urgency to do that
for 2.0 itself.

On the other hand, if there's work you need to do to make things compatible
post-2.0, then maybe you should do it now.

Here's another idea:

Convert all the gtk code itself to use _gtk_marshal_* and generate the
private header with the marshalers that are really needed.

Keep the public gtkmarshal.h file only for compatibility. Make its contents
exactly match the 1.2 set of marshalers -- maybe even use a copy of the file
from the 1.2 release itself with the GTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED wrapper, unless
there's a reason that won't work.

    -- Darin