Re: Gtk+ and the freeze

Bill Haneman <bill haneman sun com> writes:

> (gnome-hackers dropped from distro)
>
> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> >
> > The GNOME 2.0 release team has decided to give the Gtk+ team a grace
> > period until the end of Saturday to get already planned API changes
> > in. This is in the interests of trying to get Gtk+ truly frozen as
> > fast as possible.
> >
> > After Saturday, we will expect Gtk+ (and glib and pango and atk) API
> > changes to go through the normal review process. We really need to get
> > the foundation of our platform fully ready for porting work.
>
> There is a pending change to GtkStyle properties in an
> accessibility/theming patch  for Gtk+ which Owen  still has not had time
> to review.  It's critical to providing various vision-impairment themes,
> but it's a substantial patch so under the circumstances I would be
> surprised if he had time to review it today ;-)
>
> There is a second (much smaller) patch which is blocking on the first
> one, which adds another GtkStyle property for the same purposes, to
> allow theming of the line thickness for text carets which are currently
> too thin for people with poor eyesight (or bad laptop displays ;-) to
> see.
>
> Here are the additional gtkwidget property names:
>
> For focus-line theming:
>
> focus-line-width  (param_spec_int)
> focus-line-pattern (param_spec_string)
> focus-line-padding  (param_spec_int)
>
> For text caret theming:
>
> text_caret_aspect_ratio (param_spec_float)
>
> At the moment cursor_color is a property in gtkentry and in gtktextview,
> it's been suggested that this should be a single property on gtkwidget,
> for consistency, so that suggestion (merging these two color properties)
> should be reviewed now as well.

The API freeze we (the GTK+ team) are working on not cover:

 - Style properties
 - Action signals used for keybindings
 - GtkSettings
 - Configuration files
 - Binary compatibility

While a application could theoretically play around with style
properties, action signals, or even settings, normal applications
will not do so.

We will freeze these aspects at a later point.