Re: Review of accelerator changes

On 18 Nov 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I guess we can turn dynamic-accel-changing off by default in Red Hat
> and Solaris and Ximian and so on, whatever wrong thing GTK does
> upstream. But I'd rather all GTK users avoided this possible source of
> confusion. It's blatantly a bad idea from a usability standpoint - I
> doubt you could get a single one of the experienced UI people we have
> in GNOME to defend it.

sure, so it should be disabled because you say "it's bad" and what
GTK does is "wrong".
sorry for me being so ignorant as to not having considered so far, that
it's "blatantly a bad idea from a usability standpoint". this is of
course the most convincing strike of reasoning i ever had the pleasure
to experience.

start working with a non-US keyboard and an application that ships
with default accels for a US-keyboard (like most apps do), and you might
get an idea why people actually want that feature to be supported across
all apps.
it's actually a huge usability improvement for some and a requirement to
get accels usable for others, wich is why we've always supported this.

if we now add an rc-file property for people to optionally disable
changing accels, that's even going to deal with the confused users,
but there's no good reason to put off non US-keyboard users or our
current user base by changing current behaviour.

> Havoc

---
ciaoTJ