Re: PangoXft and PangoFT2 patch from hell

Tim Janik <timj gtk org> writes:

> On 16 Nov 2001, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> >    - Performance ... creating, refing, unrefing, GObjects is not all that fast
>
> what exactly is slow about GObject?
>
> i'd especially be interested in how you're going to speed up
> ref/unref, or how that'd be faster with a non-GObject structure.
>
> about creation, the only thing you could comlain about is type locking
> and you know that's being adressed, so what's this statement all about?

This is about the fact that creating refing and unrefing GObjects
is slower than allocating structures on the stack. I'm not
expecting you to fix that. Just because someone says that there
is overhead in creating and destroying GObjects, you shouldn't
get offended.

But yes, it is also about type node lookup overhead, and the
fact that g_object_newv() does an awful lot of function calls.
Would it be useful to special case g_object_newv() for objects
without any parameters? It might be worth timing if we ever
run out of more obvious things to optimize.