Invisible plug window, embedding event boxes

Cheers all,

I am somewhat new to gtk and cannot figure this one out.

I would like to use gtk tooltips (amongst other things) in my non-Gtk
application. So what I do is to create a plug widget that is embedded in
my X window. The I create a tooltip object for tooltip mantenance. Then
some event boxes which get embedded into the plug widget and are used to
add the tooltips.

So far it works fine ... exept that the plug window overdraws my
application window as a black box.

Is there a way to make the plug window invisible while allowing it to
receive events? Or simply to inhibit it beeing drawn (so it appears
invisible)?

It seems to me I just need to prevent the draw event from getting
through. Is there a way to set the event mask for the plug window to do
that?

Is there another way would be not to use the plug window, but to embed
the event boxes directly into my existing window. Can that be done?

Ciao
Andreas