Re: RFE - API change from GtkMessageDialog to GtkAlert

Gregory Merchan wrote:

> As alerts, I suspect they should stand out. I don't recall off-hand any
> problem or principle with regard to the aspect ratio. Pointers?

I forget where I originally learned it, but the rule of thumb I tend to
use for the default size of any secondary window is to make sure one
dimension is never more than twice the other.  Come to think of it, I
wouldn't be in the least surprised if the golden ratio (approx 1.6:1)
was considered to give the most aesthetically pleasing results...

For alerts, it's probably more important to limit the line length,
though-- on-screen, reading performance typically starts to trail off
with anything more than about 10 (English) words per line, if memory
serves.  Not sure this is something you'd want to automate, but it's
probably something to mention in the HIG.

Cheeri,
Calum.