Re: Treating GtkRadioButton as one focus point

On 15 Oct 2001, Owen Taylor wrote:

> This is not exactly the behavior of Windows ... in Window
> both up/down and right/left seem to go through radio groups
> in the order of the butttons in the group were added.
> But we can't do that for GTK+ because the order of buttons
> is currently ignored so many apps are likely to have them
> in inappropriate order. (*)
>
> If we make this change, there would be an obvious disconnect
> between arrow keynav for focusing and for radio buttons.
> One solution would be to simply turn off arrow focus for
> containers by default.

i think this is a very bad idea.
i'm using arow keys a lot to move focus around, especially
for two dimensional dialogs (where you can move focus to a
widget horizontally and vertically) this allows moving focus
around much faster than going through a single tab/shift-tab
focus chain.
and then, probably less than 10% of my dialogs actually do use
radio buttons, disabling arrow navigation just to improve enable
wrap-around radio movements for those would be a hoorendously
bad trade-off.
(and then, i'm usually not much in favour of wrap-around for
things like menus or radios anyway. having a fix point in
movement from which consecutive items can be reached
deterministically most times improves accesability).

how does radios as a single focus point interact with mnemonics
btw?

> Regards,
>                                         Owen

---