Open API bugs, 20 October

I just finished going though and adding milestones to all open
bugs.

As always, some new API bugs showed up whack-a-mole fashion
on doing that.

Of the new bugs below:

 62208 gdk Need to go ahead and virtualize X atoms [*P,Owen]

Is the only one that is going to cause significant breakage.

 62012 locale independent double/string conversion [*P,Alex]
 60854 Add a bunch of functions to detect if pasting is appropriate [*P]

Are API additions that have been floating around for a while.

 62072 Assorted deprecations [*]
 61757 StockItems needed for most icons [*]
 62148 Unable to detect cursor movement in selectable GtkLabel [*]
 62636 Unable to get notification of selection change

Are pretty trivial changes that shouldn't cause any problems.
I don't have much of a feel for the new GtkTextView bugs; they
seem  reasonable trivial.

Despite the API bug list not getting shorter, I think we are
doing well here ... there is a lot of porting action to GTK+-2.0
going on now, without a significant number of complaints about
API problems.

 P: We have code for this bug
 X: There is disgreement over what to do for this bug
 ?: This bug may be either a non-bug or something we'll can/need-to punt
 *: New bug since last status report

Names indicate people who "own" or are working on the particular bug.

Query with all these bugs is:

 http://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?product=glib&product=gtk%2B&product=gtk-engines&product=pango&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&target_milestone=1.0+API+freeze&target_milestone=2.0+API+freeze

Fields are:

 Notes:
 Puntable: Guess as to how badly it would hurt to not do it for 2.0.
 Breakage: Affect of changes on people downstream
 Time:     Time guesstimate.

GLib
====
62012 locale independent double/string conversion [*P,Alex]
  Notes:    My recommendation is to add this. It's a pretty important
            missing functionality, and the patch is basically there. The
            only problem I see is an unfortunate extra argument to
            g_ascii_strtod() that needs to be dealt with.
  Puntable: Yes
  Breakage: No
  Time:     20 minutes

GObject
=======
55891  Class closures can't be overriden in derived classes [Tim]
  Notes:    See recent API proposal from Tim
  Puntable: Only at the expense of making class closures useless
  Breakage: Not clear, probably little or none.
  Time      ?

GDK
===
62208 gdk Need to go ahead and virtualize X atoms [*P,Owen]
  Notes:
  Puntable: No
  Breakage: Yes
  Time:     2 hours

GTK+
====
62072 Assorted deprecations [*]
  Notes:
  Puntable: Not really.
  Breakage: Only for those compiling with -DGTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED
  Time:     Couple hours

60633 Support for Context-sensitive Input Method
  Notes:    Trouble is figuring out the exact parameters for ::get_context signal
            May be hard to do bin-compat later, though we probably can
            figure out a way to make it only break inptu method implementations
            not users.
  Puntable:
  Breakage:
  Time:     1 day or so.

61757 StockItems needed for most icons [*]
  Notes:
  Puntable: No
  Beakage:  No
  Time:     ~1 hour

62148 Unable to detect cursor movement in selectable GtkLabel [*]
  Notes:
  Puntable:
  Breakage:
  Time:

62636 Unable to get notification of selection change
  Notes:
  Puntable:
  Breakage:
  Time:

60854 Add a bunch of functions to detect if pasting is appropriate [*P]
  Notes:    I believe we should go ahead and add something here.
            Some question about exact set of functions to add but
            basic outline is clear.
  Puntable: Yes
  Breakage: No
  Time:     30 minutes

GtkAccelGroup [Tim]
=============
52434  Lock accelerators by default
51745  Notification of accelerator changes [P]
61285  No way to have change-on-the-fly menus with unmodified accelerators
  Notes:
  Puntable: No
  Breakag:  ?
  Time:     ?

GtkTextView [Havoc]
===========

61777 gtk_text_iter_set_line() can't move iterator to pos after the start [*]
  Notes:    I believe there is no bug here
  Puntable:
  Breakage: Yes
  Time:     ?

61852 GtkTextBuffer needs a case insensitive search [*]
  Notes:    The only change I think makes sense at this point
            would be to add an unused flags field. Implementing
            such a search properly is really out-of-scope for 2.0.
  Puntable:
  Breakage: ?
  Time:     ?

62103 The height_lines and width_columns properties aren't implemented [*]
  Notes:    ?
  Puntable: ?
  Breakage: ?
  Time:     ?

GtkTreeView
===========
50070  DND in TreeView needs implementing
60218  gtk_selection_data_get/set_tree_row
  Notes:    Needs check to see if the API is OK. #60218 is a place
            where the API is _not_ OK.
  Puntable:
  Breakage:
  Time:

61695 GTK_SELECTION_NONE mode
  Notes:
  Puntable:
  Breakage:
  Time:

Resolved 9/20 -
===============
60423 Font API problems
  Non-breakage parts pushed past 1.0
60844 Adding support for tEXT chunks to the PNG module
58308 GdkPixbuf API review [X]
60606 automatically set locale [*]
59803 GtkEditable needs signals  [Kristian, P]
50877  Rename libgobject to libgruntime??? [X]
  Will stick with libgobject.
61041 "printfa" - what were we thinking
59659: g_filename_to_uri and g_filename_from_uri not sufficient for
       handling URIs in drag code.
59550: g_ascii_strup doesn't work?
60217 gtkcontainer.h has some methods labeled non-public with no underline
59656: g_filename_from_uri reports NOT_ABSOLUTE_FILE_URI in some cases
59254 g{u}int{8|16|32|64} gparam/gvalue support