Re: GtkButtons and RUN_FIRST/RUN_LAST

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 02:43:15PM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> we certainly have the policy that all signals should be RUN_LAST
> unless there is compelling reason otherwise.

	Why is the default to run user code with an inconsistent state?
It doesn't seem that every user is going to expect the state to be
inaccurate.  It certainly surprised the hell out of me, and I don't
usually consider myself a naive GTK+ user.
	Certainly "toggled" is a good way of getting the 'hey, state is
going to change' information.  But that doesn't make "I want to know
when a click happened" invalid.
	I know yosh has more issue with this in his code than I do.
What I'm doing is using GtkToggleButtons and doing the radio bit by hand
because the radio UI doesn't fit.  So I can emit_stop on a currently
active button.  It should work, so I guess I'll step down from this.  I
still don't see a good rationale for surprising the user with an
inconsistent state for no reason I can surmise.  I would certainly love
to hear a reason that users should default to running first, instead of
explicitly asking for it.  Explicit users usually have a better idea
what they are getting into.

Joel

--

"But then she looks me in the eye
 And says, 'We're going to last forever,'

			http://www.jlbec.org/
			jlbec evilplan org