Re: Final fileselector DnD patch

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Alex Larsson wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Vlad Harchev wrote:
> > > Where is the spec for this?
> >
> >  No spec handy (but gmc supports _NETSCAPE_URL - see the sources).
> >  Just hack testdnd.c (AFAIR), start netscape, drop from it and watch the
> > content being dropped. Don't forget to test filenames with non-ascii and
> > http-special chars in them..
>
> After looking on this a bit I don't think we really want to support it.
>
> Netscape handles escaping really badly, just sending whatever junk is in
> the url bar. And i was completely unable to load a file with a
> filename containing locale chars into netscape 4.

 Netscape also can browse directories (e.g. file:/// )- it's much easier to
test dragging
files from netscape this way.

> I also question how often you want to drag file: urls from netscape to a
> file selector.

 I still think that it would be better to implement it. It's trivial, and may
be handy for somebody. Also, I guess a lot of non-that-popular or ancient file
managers and apps support _NETSCAPE_URL (may be CDE's one - don't remember) -
as the only way of file DND so it would be better to support them if it's
trivial to do.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad